Monday, September 8, 2014

Velvety Texture for Portraits

Attitude
watercolor
16x20"

        Back in April of this year, I had the opportunity to demonstrate for Indigo Art Papers at the International Art Materials Association Show (NAMTA) in Pittsburgh. This was the official launch of Indigo where we showed how wonderful hand crafted paper can be. I had yet to do a portrait on the paper but decided that it was time to give it a try. 
        I did the above portrait, Attitude, on the 100% cotton, 650 gsm paper.  I must say, the paper was absolutely wonderful to work on. It was velvety, grabbed the paint perfectly, and stayed wet long enough for me to work wet-in-wet, yet not too long to get me into trouble. The warmth of the paper also added to the warmth of the model's complexion.But the very best part was the texture created when painting the hair. 


You can see how the texture of the paper added to the feel of the model's frizzy hair. It was a wonderful surprise. And I love surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment